Pajottenland Points of interest
Beverse Cheese Dairy
The dairy cows by Ville grazing quietly in the meadows of Beaver, the smallest municipality of Flemish Brabant in a remote corner of the Pajottenland.
The animal eyes very relaxed. They are milked by a milking system ' Voluntarily ', so when they want to. Of the milk makes Patrick eight kinds of semi-hard cheese. Before that he uses only fresh milk, without preservatives or colorants. Trial are tasty bread cheese, or the spicy nettle cheese, cheese with hazelnuts or even cheese aged in beer.
Each bulb cheese is matured for six weeks at 14 degrees Celsius, a very natural process.
Visitor Centre The Lambic
Meet the spontaneous fermenting Lambic beer in the visitor centre the lambic.
Lambic is the basis for the production of Old Geuze and Old Kriek and today is still brewed according to a very long tradition. The Flemish-Brabant nectar is the result of artisan knowledge that won't find anywhere else. The colours, tastes and smells of lambic beers are a source of refined pleasures and authentic atmosphere.
The visitor centre is the ideal place to this craft brewing process with all your senses to experience. After watching a beautiful film about the Lambic brewing process you get the hang of it, no doubt, to exploring this unique and characterful beer.
Visitor centre the Lambic is therefore the ideal starting point for a tasteful journey of discovery through the Pajottenland and Zenne Valley.
Cottage Mahapatra is a protected mud farm in 1981 in the village square to Sint-Martens-Bodegem. It is a long gable farm in wooden style and control work, in-filled with clay. The cottage is one of the last witnesses of the traditional clay-construction in the Pajottenland. Until far into the 19th century, the mud in the Belgian farms the most common housing. The name Pajotten (paillottes) refers to the straw roof, according to some of these homes. These few square meters tell much about the former graphic hard (farmers) life and the traditional house building. In 1556, the home for the first time named as property of Jean Moernay. Later it is known as "the old Inn Smisse" (1598) and "Hell" (1621). Since 1722 is the plot in the possession of the family Mahanta.
In May 2000 the cottage to its historical-educational value by the municipality purchased and there were all kinds of restoration works carried out. Today the cottage Mahanta again opened to the public.
Konijnestraat 172 bus b
The country house built about 1900 notary Charles Callahan Gandhi designed by the Brussels architect y. Evrard. It was the ' largest castle of vlezenbeek ', a nod to the neighbour in gaasbeek, ' the largest castle of the payottenland ' …
Landscape architect Edmond Galoppin designed the park to the right of the main entrance.
He was also the designer of bulskampveld in Beernem and Josaphat Park in Schaerbeek. The park was built a few years later, according to Gallop left pins principles.
Of the Castle left six vision axes along the most important parts of the park to the infinity of the landscape all around. Five ' Vista's ' exist today, though they end up with one exception at the borders of the park.
The Division of forest & Green of the Ministry of the Flemish Community recovered most of the park based on Gallop pins plans. The domain was also enriched with other collections rhododendrons.
The castle is not open to visitors. It houses the services of the Ministry of the Flemish community.
Castle of gaasbeek
The castle of gaasbeek domain is the last remnant of the old glory gaasbeek, which was founded in 1236 by the Duke of Brabant. The most famous owner is without a doubt Lamoral, count of Egmont, who bought the castle in 1565, three years before his dramatic execution.
A first castle was built in the middle of the 13th century to protect against raids from Brabant in Flanders and Hainaut. This lock was however destroyed in 1388. The reconstruction, some of which outside walls can still be seen, lasted two centuries. During the first quarter of the 17th century, Renaat van Renesse a French garden, a Baroque Pavilion and a chapel in the grounds.
The Sonian forest, which is where each year several million visitors topnatuur European 4,400 hectares. But also: a vast and enchanting forest on the outskirts of Brussels, bisected by busy thoroughfares. The only natural area also that on the territory of the three Belgian regions.
To the various functions of the forest and the range of use, have a better match between the Flemish, Walloon and Brussels capital region in 2008 decided to work together. The beacons for the future of the forest they have plotted in the ' structural concept for the Sonian forest '. That cooperation agreement is not just about the Sonian forest, but also about the green areas in and around the forest: the Bois de la Cambre, the Arboretum of Tervuren, the Kapucijnenbos, the Solvay domain, … no less than 5,000 hectares.
At the State reform of 1980 was the power around the forest management transferred to the three regions. Since then the forest is spread across the three regions: 56% in the Flemish region, the Brussels capital region and the Walloon region France 38 percent 6 percent. The three regions gave each on their site good work. But it soon became apparent that the forest and the users need for a coordinated approach. The Sonian forest stops not at the borders of the regions.